Friday, May 25, 2007

$1 million, A Shoe Zip Code and Vitamin Water

I was particularly touched by the Yankees donation to Virginia Tech of $1 million dollars the other night. A lot of times I feel that my school and home life are very removed, because in fact they take place 8+ hours away and in two completely different worlds (Blacksburg vs. New York City, you do the math). The Orioles were allowing VT students to go to games for free, however (with the exception of this weekend) when am I ever in Maryland during the summer? Answer: never, or very rare, and definitely not to see a baseball game. I found myself wondering where my Yankees were... and here they have done something even better. I think the best part was the hats (pictured right) because it just meant a lot to see that VT all over the place. I've always loved the Yankees, and now they've proven why they are the best. They were in the city that witnessed 9/11 first hand, and saw how people came together for that, and to see them step up both with VT (and they also donated $1 million to Katrina victims), is just amazing.

I'm leaving the city in about an hour to head home and then to Maryland. I don't think I'm going to bring my lap top, so there won't be any updates until Monday or Tuesday. Kristen returns to the Great US of A on Sunday and I'm so excited for that. I'm apprehensive because when I come back on Mon. or Tues. I will have all my roommates. Right now it's just Z & Me, but with E and C here it should be interesting. It's a big apartment, until you put that many people in it. And seriously, if C thinks her 15 year old sister is hanging out here all the time, she is very mistaken. When C brought her bedding her mom said something about how maybe her little sister could sleep on our couch because she's working M-T over by FIT which is pretty close. I'm sorry but I'm paying $1,000 dollars a month to share space ALREADY, do you think I want to share with some little kid? I mean don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if she had her over maybe once a month - but come'on we can't use this place as a hotel. I have my fingers crossed she keeps it as nice as Z and I have. C also asked what Z and I had been doing for groceries. Um, what?! We've been buying our own food and eating it. What are we, best friends because we share room keys?! I have no intention of taking turns making dinner for the 'fam.' Just so that's clear.

Saks 5th Ave's Shoe department is getting it's own zip code (I know, laugh). 10022-SHOE. Saks says they plan to make the 8th floor a "destination" complete with an elevator directly to that floor. Interesting.

Coke is buying Vitamin Water for $4.1 billion. This makes me very excited because a) I own stock in Coke and I think this is a good move to help them expand their business into areas of the market they had not explored and therefore beneficial to my investment and b) I love Vitamin Water, like LOVE vitamin water. I love that it comes in pretty colors and I love the descriptions on the side of the bottles. I have one in my fridge right now. I kinda wonder if it actually works. Like, One of them is for "Power." Or one is for "focus." Idk how you'd know if they really work, but I still like them, so yay, go Coke.


Okay, that's all for today/this weekend. I know I'm not very interesting. I've got to go pack and trekk to Penn Station.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Hello from "Selfs" mother,
We enjoyed an afternoon of shopping, a Starbucks mocha frap grande w/whip (is there any other way???). Love having "self" at home - will be lonely w/o her this summer.

P.S. Please spell check your blog!!!